Fitness Centers


What liability limits should I carry?

There are a few things to consider when deciding what limit of liability you should carry. First, if you rent, check your lease. There may be stipulations in it that you are to carry a certain limit of liability. Second, talk with other business owners to get a feel for what limit may be best suited for your situation. Finally, examine your own personal wealth and determine the risk level that you are most comfortable with. Remember, if there were to be a claim against your business, your own personal assets could be accessed.


Are personal trainers (independent contractors) considered employees?

They are only considered employees if they are paid on commission or a percentage. As long as they get a flat rate for their services they should be considered independent.


Will my policy automatically cover personal trainers (independent contractors)?

Although, the policy will not automatically cover them, you can add them. Remember that they are only covered when they offer services on your behalf. Ideally, they should carry their own liability insurance to cover them when they are offering services. To protect yourself, you should also require that they list you as an additional insured on their policy. We have policies designed especially for personal trainers.


Who is an additional insured or loss payee?

An additional insured is a person, other than the insured, who is protected under the terms of the policy. An example of an additional insured would be the landlord. A loss payee is similar, as the leasing or mortgage companies who have an interest in your business and maybe paid in the event of a loss. These requests are not uncommon in the business world


Does a waiver protect me from getting sued?

No. Although a waiver can help defend your business in the event of a lawsuit, it does not protect you from being sued, being found liable or the costs associated with the action.